Monday 9 April 2007

Goals up to WC, July 07

  • Events:
    I'm setting up some written goals for what I'd like to acheive at the Individual World Champs, Slovenia, July 4-7, 2007. This is a pool competition only and I have qualified for and will be competing in statics (STA) and dynamics without fins (DNF). I'll not be bothering with dynamics with fins (DYN) as only do a similar distance as I do without fins, and don't enjoy it as much. It will be good to concentrate on only 2 events and be a little more rested for these events.
  • World champs goals:
  • STA: 6minutes and to make the final.
  • DNF: 130m and to finish in the top 3 women.
  • Wellington Winter Champs goals
  • Naenae Pool, Lower Hutt, 9-10 June 2007, hosted by Lazy Seal Freediving Club
  • STA: 5:50s +
  • DNF: 125m +
  • DYN: doubt I'll bother - might have another go without fins...
  • Training:
  • Statics
  • I mainly do CO2 tables for statics as I have real issues with coping with contractions (the convulsions you have when you body wants to breathe). There are two types that I focus on:
  • CO2 long:
    a consistant breath hold with diminishing breathe up time. I normally do these dry; on the couch or in the park next to work at lunchtime (no one has come to help me yet when I'm having huge contractions!).
    Here's how it goes: 5 minutes breathing, breath hold, 2 mins breathe up, breath hold, 1:45 breath up, breath hold, 1:30 breathe up, breath hold and so on until 30s breathe up followed by my final breath hold. The time I list is the consistant breath hold time.
  • CO2 short:
    a consistant breath hold with a single exhale and inhale between each. This is what I normally do in pool sessions.
    Here's how it goes: 5 minutes snorkel breathing, stand up, relax, breathe, commence. Breath hold, exhale, inhale, breath hold, exhale, inhale, etc. The aim is to do 10 breath holds, then increase the time for the following session.
  • The only other thing I do occassionally is a max attempt:
    5 minutes snorkel breathing, negative (exhale breath hold) for 1min to 1:30 depending on the day, 2 mins breathe up, negative for 1:15s to 1:45s. 4-5 minute breathe up, one long static breath hold dive. I'd probably do 3 long breath holds if doing this in training.
  • Dynamics without fins:
  • Dynamics training is really my downfall at the moment. What I plan to do:
  • Distance:
  • At least one session per week. Start out with a max attempt and follow up with a few repeated long slow swims.
  • Fitness:
  • A shorter repeated distance with short intervals.
  • Fitness training:
  • Bikram Yoga:
  • This is 90 minutes of yoga done in a room heated to 40 degrees celcius. It's pretty intense. I try to do a minimum of 1 session per week.
  • Swimming:
  • 2 sessions per week. I normally have about 30 mins in my lunch break. I like to do the following in a 25m pool:
    20 lengths warm up,
    basic stretching,
    sprints: 5 x 100m freestyle sprints repeated on a certain time as listed.
    5 x 50m breaststroke sprints repeated on a certain time as listed.
    10 lengths warm down (4 lengths backstroke, 6 lengths freestyle)
    I would normally incorporate at least 10 lengths kicking with a board for better efficiency once I put my fins on, but since I'm not working on dynamics or constant weight with fins at the moment it's no point.

  • Training goals:
  • End of April:
    CO2 long 3:15s (dry);
    CO2 short 1:30s;
    long DNF 115m;
    100m freestyle repeated on 1:50s;
    50m breaststroke repeated on 1:05s;
  • End of May:
    CO2 long 3:30s (dry);
    CO2 short 1:35s;
    long DNF 120m;
    100m freestyle repeated on 1:45s;
    50m breaststroke repeated on 1:00s;
  • End of June
    CO2 long 3:45s (dry);

CO2 short 1:40s;
long DNF 125m;
100m freestyle repeated on 1:45s;
50m breaststroke repeated on 1:00s.

I've got lots of work to do...

No comments: