Thursday 8 November 2007

Static excitment

I did 6 minutes!!! I'm now bouncing off the walls! I'm trying to record all the pre-dive variables, so here goes:
Yesterday I worked until I could no longer think then took the dog for a walk before dinner until I really had no energy left. Last night I ate a big steak and had a glass of red wine, and didn't train. Today I worked at my desk for 10 hours, got a bit late for training so was rushing around. Did one stretching packing breath just before leaving work around 6:45pm. Walked home from work and drove to the pool. Arrived at pool at 7:15. Did 5 mins of stretching trying to relax a bit. Got dressed. Got in. Did one more packing breath. Two minute countdown. Took a breath and held it for 6! Yay. It took 30s to inhale and I did about 25 packs. Stood up and jumped around. Felt a little light headed after jumping around for 30s immediately after the dive, but not too bad. I think there might be more in me... :) I have now officially achieved my statics goal for the year, will have to set a new one: I reckon 6:30 is a good next step.

4 comments:

Gavin Gray said...

Awesome!!! :) massive milestone there to hit.

As an experiment, try one (few) without Packing. Just 100% full lungs.

Interesting to see how much packing
adds to your times.

I personally had no difference. If there is result difference, I've been perhaps incorrectly packing.

KatFish said...

Packing has definitely made a difference. I did some no warm up dives between 3:30 and 4:20 before learning to pack. Since learning to pack I haven't done anything under 5. Contractions are now coming later and less intensely(starting about 3 mins) and I feel a lot more inflated but not yet uncomfortable. I've also made a lot of progress on dynamics - it feels so much easier at training: did a nice comfortable 106m no fins last night and only came up because I thought no one was watching, but Phil was up on the side. And that was after having a bit of a head on collision just coming out of the 66m turn. It's never been that comfortable before. Normally I would come up at about 85m if no one was watching. I'm dying to get in a 25m pool and try a big long one. It's all pretty exciting - looking forward to seeing where the new limits are. Keen to get in the deep water soon too.

Gavin Gray said...

Done 4:16 (with snorkel breathing)

Up from 3:16 using the some method.
Considering last water based static
was the comp in wellington, doing 4:10

But the lack of ability to train is very frustraighting.

Next step is true no-warm and re-learn packing method.

KatFish said...

There's always the couch...