Saturday 17 November 2007

The on-going smashing of PBs...

I've had another happy week!

On Thursday evening after working too much and feeling a bit tired I did 121m no fins dynamic at Freyberg Pool (33m and very annoyingly shallow at one end). It felt pretty good and was a new PB. I did one very bad turn and was getting a bit bouyant (feet coming up on the glide) and I think I was a little off balance as my feet were swinging around a little on the glide (not sure if this is from my weighting or the general flow of water from swimmers/pool water circulation).

This morning I made it to 134m at Porirua pool (I love this pool, it's 25m and about 1.3m minimum so shallow enough to stand in at the shallow end but deep enough to not really upset you with the pressure changes, and goes down to about 2.3m). I still felt quite conservative as Braedon was my buddy and was on the side a lane over. Had to come up on lane ropes and B threw some flutter boards at me: the wave they created mostly ended up in my mouth, but I was absolutely fine, so there should be a bit more yet... I added another .5kg to my belt and did about 30 packs. Did four full packing breaths in the hour or so beforehand, the last one was about two minutes before my dive. I'm currently gliding to the count of 5 from the wall, 4 from a pull and 3 from a kick, so I've sped up a bit. Had a lot of ugly contractions from about 20m and all through the second length, but they subsided a little after about 65m. I managed to keep a good consistent pace and didn't ease up on my technique (sometimes I get sloppy near the end). Only had a little bit of lactic build up in arms and legs.

Come on 150! :)

6 comments:

Gavin Gray said...

This again without a full warm-up going into these long dives?
Impressive! either way.

Hard to get into your head that early contractions mean your going to have a good dynamic dive.

-Like the new header.

Gavin Gray said...

Could potentially still have a good dynamic dive is more what I was getting at.

KatFish said...

Yes I have to remind myself that even though it feels awful it won't get any worse (it does ease off again once the dive reflex kicks in) and I don't really need to breathe. My head is so clear with these no-warm dives and it just doesn't seem to get harder in a hurry near the end. I'm dying to have another go... Going into altitude training again for the next two weeks, so will have to hold off for a little while as I expect the additional training to make me a bit tired.

Chris said...

Damn, these performances are leaving me in the dust! I'll need to step it up just to keep in touch...

Chris

Gavin Gray said...

I'd love to even be able to safely train, to even make a start.
Hopefully sooner than later now I'm off shift.
--
I think I showed you this when I was in Wellington in one time Kat

http://www.fridykning.se/kurs/stigdrkurs06.html
http://www.freediving.biz/features/muratarticle1.html

About Seb Murat's approach, more so regarding the no warm up.
He goes against the norm with packing, but best way is
to assimilate all you can over all the different angles/views.

And why I'm very interested in what I can learn about William's yoga and Freediving philosophy.

I'm still keen on doing a Murat course, brother's apartment is
10 min walk to the port where u catch the Ferry to Ibiza.

As Everyone keeps saying....why are you here you reta%...

KatFish said...

why are you here again??? :)