Thursday 14 June 2007

Wellington Winter Champs


  • Freediving Pool Competition, Naenae Pool, 9-10 June

  • This year the comp went smoothly - organisation wise for me anyway. We had eight competitors, three of whom had not competed before. Judges (Fran & Tracy) and our medic (Karl) flew down from Auckland for the event and did a fine job. We managed to get the 50m pool for the Saturday morning dynamics events, and the 25m for the no fins. A number of personal bests were swum, as the guys enjoyed not having to turns so much. Thanks to everyone who helped out - the level of delegation worked much better for me this year!

  • The comp for me didn't go so well. It was my worst one ever. :( I miscalculated a few things and ended up falling over after standing up at the end of my DYN event at 102m (done without fins in the 50m pool), and again after my static performance at 5:07s. The first meant that I was unable to compete in "my event", the dynamics without fins. I've spent a lot of time analysing every aspect and I feel there were a number of factors that can pretty much be summarised as: physical & mental fatigue and a poor warm up for both events.

  • Thanks to those who came to support me: mum (sorry it was such a poor introduction to freediving for you) and Miriam who came out to the pool when I didn't even get to compete.
  • This photo pretty much sums up my weekend, then there's a link to a video of my DYN (done without fins):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GAprdUiKOU

No comments: