Sunday 20 April 2008

Back to the "real world"

I've been back home a week now. The jet lag has finally subsided - I actually managed to sleep until the alarm went off this morning (I know it's Sunday, but I train in the mornings on the weekends). It has been a bit of a shock to the system to leave the late New Zealand summer, enjoy the warm Bahamas winter climate and return to a definite autumn chill in the air. I donned thermals, a scarf and woolly hat this afternoon for a quick walk along the beach with the dog. Work as been quite unsettled. The Bahamas has affected me quite deeply in a way I can not describe. The call of the sea and the obsession with diving has intensified. After a week off I headed back to the pool. It was absolutely devine to be back in the water. I felt intensely happy and great relief. The few dynamics I have done since my return have felt like they are on a completely new level both physically and mentally. I have incorporated a few things into them that I learned from the depths: a greater ability to relax and focus right through to the end of the dive. I have lost weight (which I generally try to avoid) and have gained more lead, indicating yet another increase in lung volume. There are three weeks left until our little pool competition where we will be able to attempt two events each. I'm going to keep you guys in suspense until then!

No comments: