Sunday 2 March 2008

training or lack of...

The last two attempts at getting to Lake Taupo to train in more than 20m of water have died a miserable death with pretty horrendous weather. Who ever heard of a lake with 1.5m swells due to 50 knot winds! Next weekend we have a competition in the lake over three days with an opportunity to do constant weight with and without fins as well as free immersion. I haven't dived deep for about 5 weeks and have no idea what to nominate - whether to go safe or just trust myself to pull out some big dives that I haven't done before. I know I've got the breath hold and have been practising my equalisation by doing exhale dives to between 10-20m around Wellington. I'm also getting a bit more confidence at depth: my point of anxiety is now at around 40m rather than 15! The national records are all easily within reach now, which is nice. We're also going to have the 20/20 film crew there so I don't want to do anything stupid and have it recorded and shown on national TV. I've never done free immersion past about 10m so if I have to repeat one of the other events then I can leave the FIM for the Bahamas. I guess I'll decide over the next few days. Hopefully the weather will finally be good for us next weekend - all our depth competitions seems to be held in cyclonic conditions!!!

Can't wait to get to the Bahamas where I won't have to worry about the cold, the thermoclines, the swell size, etc. I'll probably overheat instead, like in Slovenia! Just wish I could spend more time there! Although, I think I was lucky to get any time off work at all after last year's 10 weeks in Europe. My boss is very supportive. Hopefully I'll be able to do some work in the afternoons and on rest days in the Bahamas so I don't need to take so much unpaid leave. It just depends on what projects come up in the next couple of weeks. Luckily Braedon is going to stay home and pay the mortgage while I'm away.

I did a very comfortable 151m DYN with new (broken/repaired) fin yesterday in a 25m pool, complete with horrific turns in the shallow end (something to work on - I wouldn't say my general fin technique is particularly good either). I expect the replacement fin will be here on my return from teh Bahamas. I'd like to have a go in the 50m pool (it was meant to be 50 yesterday but they didn't bother to move the bulkhead for us). It's amazing what getting the right equipment can do for you. I'm still using my old fin for depth as the pool one will be too soft. I've also done a few more DNFs around the mid 130s, so I just need a good day to push it out a bit more. I'm working on technique past 100m at the moment, so need to do a lot of big swims.

Feeling a bit nervous about my repeat attempt for the 7 min static. I hope it becomes a regular feature in my training sessions.

We didn't win lotto last night and I haven't discovered a big financial sponsor, so no big life changes in store for the near future. :(

I should also mention that Kerian and I are doing some demonstration swims at Naenae Pool, 6pm Saturday 15 March if you'd like to come and watch. We've got Frankie Stevens coming along to announce it and will be looking for helpers to run around selling raffle tickets, t-shirts and beginner courses. Our partners are going to "judge" it so it looks realistic. They're both judges but we haven't announced it so I won't be breaking any records. We're also looking for some bits and pieces to raffle off in some quick fire draws if anyone has anything they'd like to donate!

No comments: