Monday 24 March 2008

Dean's Blue Hole

I've had a couple of days training in Dean's Blue Hole now. I'm still feeling a bit stiff and tired from the trip so just had a couple of easy sessions checking my buoyacy is all OK (it's almost right now). The hole is a bit dirty due to the combination of a storm in the Atlantic, the wind blowing abnormally from the sou-east, and the full moon making the tides quite high. As you can see there is quite a lot of rubbish that's been blown up on the beach and more in the water. Otherwise the water is amazing: warm and clear, and the sand is golden and soft. Yesterday the filth in the water was circling us while we were training, however today was much better. Apart from being much more buoyant in the salt water, I also noticed that today at about 25m I'd tensed up a little in preparation for the thermocline which I've been assured will never come - something I didn't realise I did. Still plenty of stuff to work on including getting more sleep which is slightly proving difficult due to the rooster located just outside my apartment! I suppose it's not too different to living in an apartment building where the residents make noise and wake you up at all hours on the weekend! Here are a couple of photos. The hole is smaller than I expected - you can see it just behind the sun umbrella, where the water goes to a dark blue colour.


3 comments:

Gavin Gray said...

hi,

Definitely a good idea to get acclimatised by arriving with plenty of time.
Lucky the number of interconnecting flights wasn't too much of a drama.

And least I couldn't bring my work home with me. Must be hard to focus on that...
Heaps of tv channels?
not that'd you have much time too watch them right.

Ben Noble said...

Keep the updates coming Kathryn, great to read it all. Best of luck for the comp!!!

Cheerio,
Ben xx

KatFish said...

No TV (well it doesn't work) and I don't like lying in the sun (fatigues me) so there's plenty of time to churn out a few hours of work each day. It actually relaxes me and gives me some purpose, plus it means I shouldn't need to take so much unpaid leave and my collegues aren't so stressed at losing a third of the team!