Tuesday 28 September 2010

Cressi World Record Challenge

25-28 September 2010, Naenae & Porirua Pools, Wellington, New Zealand

We were coming up to Wellington anyway for Simon's mum's exhibition opening on Friday so we stuck around for the competition - worth a try.

The competition was organised for Dave Mullins to set world records in Dynamic and Dynamic without fins since his national records in both events exceeded the world records. I think he had a glimmer of hope for a static too but that faded once he put his head under. He was sucessful and made nice clean dives to 265m and 218m respectively, but unfortunately did not push out his dynamic without fins national record of 232m.



I didn't have high expectations which helped reduce some of the pressure on me (very nice). I don't really want to make excuses but my pool has been shut for the last three months (re-opened on Saturday funnily enough) and I've spent the last four months commuting to Queenstown from Wanaka daily, over NZ's highest sealed road, through snow and ice in my little two wheel drive car, mostly in the dark and working long days. This is a photo of the summit of the Crown Range (taken on the way to the airport departing Wellington) - it's meant to be spring time now.

Anyway, I've managaed to increase my training in the last month from one in water session per week to two, by staying over in Queenstown one night a week and driving to Cromwell on the weekend, plus a couple of rather fatigued dry sessions. I lose about 20% of my ability when fatigued so really had no idea of my capabilities prior to the competition and was hoping that everything would come together in time. Thankfully a few things did. Having a couple of days off work before competing and some good sleeps helped enormously. My dives have only just come back to feeling wonderful again after having such a big break, firstly from the pool (training in Egypt & the Bahamas), then holidaying and then settling back into "normal" life. Please remember that eventually all your training will pay off and long dives do feel fabulous!

Since the last competition I've managed to fit in one max dive with my monofin, simply because it's hard to focus on more than one event with such limited training time, but feel that my technique is really improving (feeling much better than ever before). I managed 177m in the competition, which I was pretty happy with. I do have high hopes for future months but I guess we'll have to wait and see - I'm hoping that with some proper training and a bit more technique work to make everything more natural that it will all start to come together soon. The comp dive was still a bit slow: 3:02, which is that time I'm aiming to make it to 200m in when the technique actually starts to work properly.

I did dynamic without fins on Monday after a day of rest, good sleep and a lot of eating. The dive felt great (remembering that they are just starting to feel really wonderful) but there were still some issues. I feel my buoyancy has changed again in the last week or so (or perhaps the Porirua pool water is a little different) and it affect my stroke count each length. I made it to the 161m and came up but had one of the world's tiniest black outs (I could remember seeing the marker on the bottom indicating when I'd arrived at the WR distance). Anyway, it meant disqualification so I had to try again today. Today I opted for the safe option and decided to get a white card rather than chase numbers (always my preference). I managed 156m without fins with a white card. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't 5m further (the world record is 160m) but I feel that I would have suffered the exact same fate as yesterday had I pushed through. It did save me $1000, which is quite significant considering my employment contract ends 30 September and I'll be without work again. There are definitely still things to work on as I essentially haven't had the time this year to work through any of the finer details. The next thing is to figure out how to stay under longer than 3 minutes. My 156m was 3:06, which is about the right speed. Please feel free to comment and post ideas... :)

If you haven't already, please become a fan of AIDA NZ on facebook. You can view videos and get regular updates on what is going on here in NZ. I also have a facebook page where you can click on like and see updates on me as a freediver and Deep South Freedivers.


7 comments:

MR said...

Hi Kathrin, I can sometimes make dynamic 3 min + and sometimes not. Would like to know how to make it longer but I haven't found the clue, even at DB forum :-(. Maybe Dave could tell you the secret :-D. Cheers, Michal Risian

KatFish said...

Hi Michal
My guess is that I do more long dives. Dave has 15L lungs which I'll never have (hopefully), that's almost twice the size of mine. But Natalia swims for about 4minutes. She spends a lot of time in the water and is very calm, plus she's been in this sport much longer - maybe it's a time thing? I'm not sure that altering stroke rate or speed would make any difference but I might play around with it.
Kathryn

Unknown said...

Hi Kathryn,
since a long dive is constituted by respectively an aerobic part and an anaerobic part, wouldn't it help to:
1- push your aerobic cardio is far as possible
2- work on your hypoxic abilities (hypercapnic too but, yours seem already huge!)
Cheers,
Eric.

KatFish said...

Hi Eric
Thanks for the thoughts. I still believe that aerobic activity is not helpful to increase max dive times. My dives increased dramatically when I stopped cardio training and reduced my training timetable. Most of my training now revolves around max attempts and technique work which means almost every time I train I'm pushing my hypoxic/hypercapnic ability to it's limit forcing the body to adapt quickly.
Kathryn

Unknown said...

hi Kat,
Since I am a newbie to freediving, I was wondering: I see a lot of freedivers using a "kicking" techique instead of good "finswimming" technique ... whatta f*** ? ^^ Is this good (would be great for me since I have very strong legs) ?

KatFish said...

The dolphin kick ought to come from your abs and your legs should be straight (more efficient), however until the abdominal muscles are stregthened most people find that their legs just bend (or they are lazy). It's one of those things that is easier said than done - most people have some leg bend.

Kars said...

Hi Kathryn,

What I've heard the Danes do, is first condition the body to learn to swim for say 4'(very slow swimming) and then start to increase the speed.

But different bodies, different approaches. For instance I'm a very slender person and my muscles is great in extracting O2 from my bloodstream, with the result that I need to give up because of hypoxia in the brain, while I don't have acid in my muscles.

Today I did a little experiment, an apnea walk and run. After a normal slow breath up, full lungs, I started to jog, watching my arms and feed, counting 1-4. Just before the contractions (after ~90m jog) I went into a good sprint, resulting a 260m 'run' of 1'12". Maybe when you feel you've got more left in your muscles at the end, you could speed up after the vasocontriction kicks in?

Note my dynamic is very poor-140m, - I know what it means to be on a plateau - But I'll hope I can transfer this nice walking apnea knowledge into the water. Swimming speedy, like Frederick Sessa.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars