Sunday 26 April 2009

Vertical Blue 09 part two

We're now two thirds of the way through the competition days. I managed another two secessful dives and aborted one after my nose clip leaked excess quantities of air during the duck dive. Sometimes it leaks and I just deal with it as it goes away once I get to freefall and start my mouthful equalisation (as it is a lot less forced), but this was a lot more than usual. I'm quite annoyed with the whole nose clip situation – they seem to be only designed for large noses. I always have to tighten them as far as they go and they often still leak.

Sucessful dive number one was 49m and number two 52m. Both were constant weight without fins. As I have concluded that I do not have enough time to work on anything else and I did not bring my fin anyway.

I have been struggling with a few psychological issues that have been nagging away in the back of my mind. Firstly there was the lung squeeze, however I feel this has cleared up. I'm now more sensitive to the feeling of fluid in my lungs after a dive and while there has been a little it seems to be less after every dive now, to a point where I am confident it will not happen again on this trip. Secondly there is the inexperience issue and the fact that I feel a bit panicky at depth. I have been working essentially solely on this. All my concentration on dives is focussed around staying relaxed and avoiding having contractions to the point where I am letting go of other important aspects of my dives. On the 49m dive I was counting my strokes off the surface but completely forgot to pay attention and did three more than usual. I think that to go deeper I am going to have to start to pay attention to some of the technique issues. I've decided that I am not going to be scared of depth any more, so we'll see if I can control this powerful tool that is the mind. The third issue is the basic fear of blacking out, however we have such a great crew of safety divers that this too is completely irrational.

Sorry I didn't get around to publishing this one earlier guys!

1 comment:

Kars said...

I think your Lung squeeze experience as well as your others will help many others to realise to have a gentle build up time, even when one is so eager to go with few training dives ahead.

For your nose clip, you can just put thicker pads, or even fillers there to fit your sweet nose :)

I'm sure your notes book is packed full of insights and tips, so you've got plenty of things to work with :)

All the best,

Kars

ps. I still have not found your email address on your lovely site, how can I get in touch? I still have a photograph of you at the WC pool in Rennes Switserland 2005 I want to sent you.