Thursday 9 October 2008

coming out of a break

Well, it's been a while. I've had quite a nice break, eating and drinking too much as you do. Focus has been low as I've had a lot of other things going on, but I'm getting it back now that the next competition has been announced for mid-November in Auckland. My main focus will be on statics there as I haven't done a static in competition for so long and my record is getting pretty old.

I have been playing around with my new fin too. I've been trying to glide longer as I find this more relaxing (and I'm generally pretty lazy in dynamics). During a few tests the other night in a 33m pool I went from 8 kicks per length (I include the kick off the wall) to 6 with a longer glide. The timing went from 28s up to 30s, so I feel the benefits might be quite good. I have yet to try a max swim gliding like this. My next goal will be to try not to lose so much power or gain kicks per length throughout the dive.

3 comments:

Mel said...

am looking forward to watching you swimm :)

Anonymous said...

Good to see some updates from you Kathryn and good to see you back from a short break. Good luck with the static's. I've been training pretty hard on my statics too and finally got over the 6min mark last week. Can't wait to hit 7min (any tips?)

Take care
Chris Holmes

KatFish said...

Thanks for the kind wishes Chris. 6 mins is great! Statics are funny - they are so affected by your mood and progress is seemingly randomly. Working on methods of relaxation and trying out different ways of warming up (or not), plus lots of evil CO2 tables if you struggle with contractions might help.