Monday 3 September 2007

Week ending 3 Sept

This is a bit funny. I haven't held my breath since my DNF at the WC, 8 July. Anyway, I thought since I'm home I'd better start up my routine asap, especially since there's a comp in three weeks and the boys all seem to be improving at such rapid rates, I'd better do some work to try to catch up a little...

Tonight, my first breath holds in a good eight weeks consisted of 3:30s dry CO2 tables. Much more than I expected. It was bloody hard, but about the same as I was doing before I went to Slovenia - makes me happy. We'll see what dynamics brings tomorrow evening. Maybe the altitude training helped me with this or perhaps just being pretty fit after the trip was good (despite excessive eating and drinking almost every day). Anyway, I guess we have to see if it lasts or fades off.

I have a few new training strategies:

  • Don't give up drinking (it makes me tense), but reduce to max one drink in a sitting for the fortnight before a comp.
  • If my resting pulse increases I need to reduce my training load
  • I need to keep up my short intense lunchtime swim sessions to keep my resting pulse low (maybe not in the week before a comp).
  • Sleep should take priority, which means I have to sacrifice longer pool sessions for shorter dry sessions at home and get an early night if I need it. Speaking of which, I should be in bed - jet lag kept me up until 3am last night, I was tired all afternoon, and now I'm not again.
  • The dog needs more walks.

I also need to start using fins again. Now is probably a great time as my legs and back are pretty strong from the excessive walking we did in Europe.

No comments: