Sunday 8 July 2007

World Champs

  • I think everyone is wondering what happened. Well, I got 6th in statics with a meagre 5:16s. The dive felt awful - I got contractions at about 2:30s. Didn't have the need to throw up though, which was nice. Braedon was more nervous than I was and had to pee about 6 times at the pool before we got in, then his hand was shaking on my back the whole time... Natalia did a world record time of 8 mins and beat all the men. The funny thing was that she was in the showers at the same time as me and was really struggling to get her wetsuit top off. It took her over a minute and she was puffing more after that than the static.
  • My dynamics without fins heat was in the afternoon, after statics. I figured out that I had to do about 112m to get into the A final, so probably pushed it a bit hard and got disqualified when my mouth went under at 112m and I lost it (so that was the end of my world champs). It's quite challenging to stand on the tiny ledge on the side of the pool during the count down. I think I was a bit low on sugar - legs were a bit shakey before the start (never good). Not to mention the fatigue from the noisey hostel, jet lag, uncomfortable bed and the heat (it was 32 degrees in the stands at the pool). That's probably enough excuses, but I should mention the night before... Braedon and Patti went for a walk down at the festival and I decided to stay at the pool for the event committee meeting (was too tired to walk around more). The meeting was really late as there were protests (the guy who got 3rd in the dynamics was protested against as his mouth went back under and he lost his position, then had to protest it himself). Anyway, I'm pleased I didn't go with Braedon and Patti. They went to the supermarket by the pool to get some yoghurt for breakfast and were in the line for the cashier when there was an armed hold up. They just got down on the floor. The cashiers gave over the money and he went out the back, so they walked out. It sounds like it's a regular occurence here... You can probably read more about it on Patti's blog (there's a link from this one on the right hand side). I thought it was scarey enough that the policemen have guns in their pockets...
  • Last night was the big party after. It was up by the ski field of Maribor (Pohorje). We had a huge feed of meat and drank really bad wine. Everyone was swapping shirts (which I must say was easier for the boys). There was music and dancing. I was too tired to stay out and went to bed at about 2am, Braedon and Patti (and most of the others) got in at 6am. There were a lot of very tired and hungover people around this morning trying to get packed in time to catch flights. Most people have left now, despite the transfers to Graz not showing up - they took taxis and it's about an hours drive, but a few of them only had 1 hour 30 mins left to get on the plane when they left here (and they were international flights). We're not leaving until tomorrow morning (early). We'll take the train to Ljubljiana then on to Venice, then fly up to Paris. We wanted to take a hire car, but the return fee alone was 188 euros. :(
  • I have met so many wonderful people here in Slovenia. The competition was very well run and everything went pretty smoothly (from my perspective anyway). I'm looking forward to getting on with our holiday now.

4 comments:

WaWa said...

Well done Kathryn, I thought you did yourself extremely proud and it was an absolute pleasure to be your support crew. Keep it up and see you up at the podium next round yeah? Thanks for inviting me I am quite inspired and might even give it a go myself!! I had a fantastic time hanging out with those gorgeous freedivers and man what an afterparty!!

Those of you that want to read how Kathryn's support crew almost got their heads blown off in an armed robbery of the local supermarket (no shit) you can go to my blog by clicking on my user name above.

Adijo for now till Paris!!

WaWa said...

correction... just go to http://flyingbaroness.blogspot.com/2007/07/shaken-not-stirred-we-survived-armed.html

Gavin Gray said...

Hi, Kathryn.

Great effort to make the static finals, and sounds like you put in really hard final
effort to get 6th :).



(I would of posted sooner had I not forgot how to log in here!)

MM said...

Wow, the whole thing sounds amazing. Now you can go and have a great holiday! Enjoy France, you are missing nothing but terrible weather here in Wellington ...