Sunday 29 June 2008

Learning to be a dolphin

I've had three dynamics technique sessions over the past week and can see some pretty good improvements already. I'm starting to get more of a dolphin-like kick rather than the sideways eel bending that I've been battling with for a while now. I haven't attempted a long swim yet so I don't really know if I'm still stretching myself through my abdomen to a point where I can't go on. I'll probably give that a go in a week or two once it starts to feel more natural. I've also reduced to only 5 kicks per length (25m) including the push off. It was 6-8 kicks when I was gliding with my fin and hands up too high so it was obviously reducing my streamlining a lot! My turns still need work. When it works and I've got a bit of momentum up it's really good and comfortable, but if I lose concentration and slow down or lift my head up I hit the bottom with my knees an then it's hard to get moving again. I've got two more weeks to see if I can work out my hate relationship with the monofin before I either decide to give it a real go at the next comp of leave it for a while. We will have one comp day in a 50m pool, so I'll be giving it a go then anyway, ready or not...

No comments: